View Single Post
Old 10-07-2011, 07:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Tuffgirl

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
OMG Tuffgirl! A trip to Alaska in my RV. That would be the ultimate! I will definitely look you up if I ever manage that one. Gotta get the last kid through high school and out of the house, then, who knows?

L
Ok, put this info in your bucket list:

Drive to Bellingham, Washington and board the Alaska Marine Highway ferry. I believe its 4 nights to Haines, Alaska and takes you through the Inside Passage of SE Alaska. I've done it 4 times, and next time am doing it by mountain bike! It's amazing, and you get to spend the day in places like Ketchikan, Sitka, Wrangell, and Juneau.

Get off in Haines and take the Alcan highway to Anchorage, which is a good 2 days drive if you are truckin. 3 if you stop and smell the roses. Talk about remote, but hey, its now all paved. Last 3 times I drove the Alcan, it was still gravel in sections.

When you get to Anchorage, after you spend a few days sightseeing and flying around, you can go south on the Kenai Peninsula and camp on the Homer spit. Google it - really cool.

Then on your way back north, swing into Fairbanks for a quick visit. Gotta check out Chena hot springs.

The swing east and south back to Haines and ferry back to Washington (or drive the Alcan the entire way, also pretty amazing).

I think in my past life I was a tour guide in Alaska! ; )

It would be the trip of a lifetime for a photographer. Make sure to pack extra memory cards!