OT-Realizing my dreams, a bit at a time

Old 10-07-2011, 03:21 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

OT-Realizing my dreams, a bit at a time

So, my big dream is to retire, move into my RV and travel around the country photographing whatever catches my eye. But, that is still a few years off, so I do what I can.

Ever since I got an RV, one of the places I've wanted to take it is the Columbia River Gorge in Oregon. Waterfalls are one of my favorite subjects, and the gorge has them in abundance. I started doing a little research and discovered that not only is it less crowded in the fall, but the autumn colors are beautiful.

So, next week I'm headed up there on a trip with nothing more on my agenda than to get some beautiful photographs.

The ex is on layoff from his job, so my son will get some father-son bonding time. And when I told my S/O that I wanted to do this trip a few weeks ago, his eyes got really big and he said "you mean an adult-only trip? Just the two of us?" He's so cute, and he supports my photography obsession completely. Looking forward to a wonderful "adult-only" week away. Fingers crossed that the leaves cooperate, too.

L
Old 10-07-2011, 03:51 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

But, do ya have any waterfalls?

My sister, who lives in Portland, has asked me to donate a large print to their annual fundraiser she helps run for her boys' school. She wants "something Oregon," and although I have some Oregon Coast shots and some Crater Lake shots, I was thinking "Multnomah Falls in Autumn" would have some real money raising potential for the cause. But, if I fail to get any good shots, I can always fall back on Crater Lake, lol.

L
Old 10-07-2011, 03:58 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Last time I checked, I believe the gorge claims some 23 waterfalls. Highest concentration per square mile of any place in the US. I don't know if I can shoot them all in a week, since some require a long hike to access. But, I plan to bag at least half a dozen. So excited!

L
Old 10-07-2011, 04:15 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Multnomah Falls. Not too far from Portland and a nice drive East.
Old 10-07-2011, 04:33 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Cyranoak View Post
Multnomah Falls. Not too far from Portland and a nice drive East.
Damn! Now why didn't I think of that? LOL

Pssst, Cyranoak, did ya read the thread?

L
Old 10-07-2011, 04:42 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

The weather channel is giving me hope............

http://image.weather.com/images/maps...ur_720x486.jpg
Old 10-07-2011, 04:45 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm no angel!

Hey! Hey! Sounds like a plan! I wish I could take my RV out and head west...not doable right now, hopefully next summer.

Enjoy and please share those great pics of yours!
Old 10-07-2011, 06:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

If ever you decide to drive WAY up north - you gotta let me know. My Dad has a airplane. And I know where some gorgeous waterfalls are. Just sayin'!

Enjoy!
Old 10-07-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

(((LTD))) I LOVE waterfalls! I live on the wrong coast, but did spend a vacation in the TN mountains hunting down waterfalls years ago Can't wait to see the pics!

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 10-07-2011, 06:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tuffgirl View Post
If ever you decide to drive WAY up north - you gotta let me know. My Dad has a airplane. And I know where some gorgeous waterfalls are. Just sayin'!

Enjoy!
OMG Tuffgirl! A trip to Alaska in my RV. That would be the ultimate! I will definitely look you up if I ever manage that one. Gotta get the last kid through high school and out of the house, then, who knows?

L
Old 10-07-2011, 07:16 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Okay, I was wrong, there are 77 waterfalls on the Oregon side of the gorge! I'm taking my hiking boots!

L
Old 10-07-2011, 07:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
OMG Tuffgirl! A trip to Alaska in my RV. That would be the ultimate! I will definitely look you up if I ever manage that one. Gotta get the last kid through high school and out of the house, then, who knows?

L
Ok, put this info in your bucket list:

Drive to Bellingham, Washington and board the Alaska Marine Highway ferry. I believe its 4 nights to Haines, Alaska and takes you through the Inside Passage of SE Alaska. I've done it 4 times, and next time am doing it by mountain bike! It's amazing, and you get to spend the day in places like Ketchikan, Sitka, Wrangell, and Juneau.

Get off in Haines and take the Alcan highway to Anchorage, which is a good 2 days drive if you are truckin. 3 if you stop and smell the roses. Talk about remote, but hey, its now all paved. Last 3 times I drove the Alcan, it was still gravel in sections.

When you get to Anchorage, after you spend a few days sightseeing and flying around, you can go south on the Kenai Peninsula and camp on the Homer spit. Google it - really cool.

Then on your way back north, swing into Fairbanks for a quick visit. Gotta check out Chena hot springs.

The swing east and south back to Haines and ferry back to Washington (or drive the Alcan the entire way, also pretty amazing).

I think in my past life I was a tour guide in Alaska! ; )

It would be the trip of a lifetime for a photographer. Make sure to pack extra memory cards!
Old 10-08-2011, 05:40 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Today is a New Day

Alright, Tuffgirl, now I want to go to Alaska!
That sounds gorgeous. <3
Old 10-08-2011, 08:34 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

SE Alaska is my favorite region of Alaska...its warmer and on the ocean and has the big Washington/Oregon like trees and forests. Anchorage is pretty but more 'arctic' feeling, and Fairbanks is a trip, especially in the winter when the sun shines for about 3 hours but never leaves the horizon.

Last spring when I was in Sitka for a few days of work, I drove out to the end of the road (Sitka is on an island) and sat on the beach. Two whales went by as I was sitting there, watching the water. It was super cool!

Maybe all of you with RV's can caravan here with a group of us for an SR reunion road trip!
Old 10-09-2011, 10:32 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
A jug fills drop by drop

I am up for the SR caravan,

All those places sound gorgeous, I hope you have a wonderful time and I hope you can share some of the pictures for us that do not know such places this is what life is meant to look like!!
Old 10-14-2011, 11:35 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I read all your threads...

...and then I think about them, forget certain facts but never the meaning, then come back later and try to make suggestions that are redundant.

It's part of my charm. Right?

Cyranoak

P.s. I'm really looking forward to seeing the pictures. I live in Washington and the area(s) you are going to be in is one of my many favorites. Have fun!

Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
Damn! Now why didn't I think of that? LOL

Pssst, Cyranoak, did ya read the thread?

L
Old 10-16-2011, 03:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm back. Actually, we got home yesterday afternoon, but I've only had time today to look through some of the pictures. The big score was a blue heron in flight. Wildlife photography is my biggest challenge. I stalked this bird for at least 45 minutes before it finally decided to fly. But, I was ready! My best wildlife photo yet!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg
blueheronflying.jpg (42.1 KB, 63 views)
Old 10-16-2011, 03:12 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Just beautiful! I love wildlife. Can't wait to see more!
Old 10-16-2011, 03:14 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

We hiked to Elowah Falls on a lovely path through the forest.
Attached Images
forestpath.jpg (76.1 KB, 62 views)
Old 10-16-2011, 03:17 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

When we arrived at the bottom of the 289 ft. waterfall, I picked a place which I thought was the best angle to photograph it from. Turns out, it was right in the path of the mist generated by the falling water. But, I kind of like the misty quality of the photo taken through a lens covered with water droplets.
Attached Images
Elowahmisty.jpg (33.4 KB, 62 views)