View Single Post
Old 10-05-2011, 10:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
worriedsis29

how do i help my brother

( reposting as initially posted in the wrong forum )

hello all. as per my username im a worried sister. my adult brother;s as yet unidentified drug use has escalated to being completely cracked out every single day. how he manages to hold his job i dont know ( and fear if he has lost it or loses it hell turn to dealing if he has not done so already ). in hindsight the mild symptoms appeared many months ago - lack of sleep on weekends and energetic but in a hyperactive way not maniac as he is now. we do not know what he is taking. am hoping perhaps y'all can help. he currently exhibits these signs :

- VERY VERY VERY hyperactive - visits for 5 minutes ( isnt really all there ) - then has to leave - talks miles a minute - often not mmaking sense
- completely erratic behavior - driving 1 hr away to wash his car ( we ran into him so we know he was washing his car ) while friends hed not seen in ages were at his home / washes his car in the middle of the street at 1am
- this segues into his OCD behavior ( washing his car and spending hours on the treadmill )
- paranoia about little things - he believes our other sibling is " blaming " him for various irrelevant things ( trash in the garage etc )
- does not sleep for days on end
- his eyes look as though theyre going to bulge from their sockets 24/7 ( completely freaks me out ) / unable to make eye contact for more than a few seconds / sweats profusely / has lost 30lb-40lb in a few months ( he is turning into a bag of bones )
- gets EXTREMELY defensive ( has always had a short fuse ) when even our mama comments in a neutral , casual way about his weight etc.

We are very very scared of the road he's taking knowing we cannot help him stop as it is too late. We will not isolate him but we will not enable him. This is going to destroy our mama to see him continue to spiral.

My questions are :

- what could he possibly be on ? ( understandably a stimulant - do the symptoms mirror any specific drug ) if there is any speculation as to what it is - what progression of behavior can we expect ?

- what can i do to protect / help my mama ?

sorry if this is kind of jumbled together but my thoughts on this are like a tangled mess.

Thanks very much