Thread: How bad am I?
View Single Post
Old 10-04-2011, 07:19 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
ReadyAndAble

Hi, Rich.

If you can moderate—just drink a couple and leave it at that—then problem solved. But I'm guessing you tried that many times already?

I reached the conclusion that drinking was an all-or-nothing proposition for me. Once I had that first drink, all bets were off. Sometimes I could limit myself to a couple—at a work function, for example—but I didn't enjoy it. And I started drinking more at home, so I could cut loose without the consequences (yeah, right).

I think that's a common pattern. And like I said before, it gets worse. The truth is, normal drinkers don't have to try to moderate. They just do. They can take a drink, or leave it. No big deal. And stopping at a couple of drinks is not an effort—they actually don't want more (go figure).

Think about your smoking. Did you have to quit completely? Was it possible to go from a pack a day to just a smoke now and then?

Total sobriety seems like a crazy idea, I know. But it's pretty darn great as it turns out. Just like smoking, it's an adjustment, but it's worth it to break free of the cycle of obsession, regret, and worry. It's a lot more enjoyable than counting days, hours, and drinks....