Thread: Isolating
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 07:40 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Anna
Administrator

When I stopped drinking, I knew that I didn't want to tell people what I was doing. I sensed that this journey was going to be extremely personal. I had depended so much, too much, on feedback from friends and family in my daily life and I knew that doing that had contributed to my depression and anxiety, and then my alcoholism.

Yes, I am an alcoholic, but I am also a mother, wife, daughter, friend and grandmother. Alcoholism does not define me and never will.

And, I totally understand what you said about being with your friend and not connecting anymore. The changes I felt within me were huge and I no longer wanted to be with some of the people that I had spent time with. I began to recognize that I enjoyed solitude and in fact, it was essential for me. So, I love spending time with family and friends, but I need to know I can spend time with myself too. You are feeling the rumblings of early recovery and the changes you need are making themselves known to you. Just listen quietly and you will do the right thing.