Thread: How bad am I?
View Single Post
Old 10-03-2011, 10:33 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
BASEjumper
Gone In

You are showings sign of alcoholic behaviour, namely the inability to control the amount you drink once you start, and drinking despite it causing issues in your marriage. Having alcoholics in your family is a huge red flag, it pre-disposes you to alcoholism. If you want my opinion, I'd say you are in the early stages of alcoholism, when it starts causing problems but before it really starts taking things away from you.

I know it's hard to see it right now, but you can still go to social events, not drink and still have fun. I know I used to project my obsession with alcohol onto others, thinking they shared my obsession and everyone would notice I wasn't drinking. I came to find out others barely noticed. I did have a bit of discomfort at first, and people I used to drink with would ask why I wasn't drinking. I explained it away as it was causing me health problems.

You can make something up, or tell the truth, it's up to you. Remember that not touching a beer for a week or two doesn't mean you're safe. If you do have alcoholism, and with alcoholics in your family you may well, those periods will grow closer and closer together. If you choose to keep drinking, keep an eye on that, record it. It's progressive, so when the intervals start shortening, that should tell you something.

Be honest with yourself, and get help if you need it. Alcoholism doesn't have to take everything away first before one seeks help