View Single Post
Old 08-29-2004, 05:38 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
DJBucs2005

I appreciate your help everyone. However, my household is not a constant turmoil in the way some might think it is. There are not lamps being thrown, nor is my mom or myself or my brother being beaten by my dad. Some of the stupid little things my dad may do while under the influence may cause my dad to get over defensive though, trying to blame his mistakes on something else (when in reality, it was caused by him drinking)

It is very unenjoyable to be around my dad when he is drinking though. At dinner for example, I don't really like to talk too much when my dad is drinking, because he is highstrung and obnoxious. He is also usually complaining about work or whatever else may have upset him that day. As while he does not drink at dinner, he is a bit easily irritated and uptight.

Like I said in my first post, I think there is still hope for my dad. Here is one problem I have though. I don't have a great relationship with him, and I never had. I don't know what to do to try to form somewhat of a relationship with him either. When he is drinking, I don't really like bothering with him. I need to try to do the little things. Saying "hi" to him every day after he comes home from work, and trying to hold a conversation with him. It's also hard to talk to him when he falls asleep on the couch every day after dinner. I think my only hope is talking to my mom about this, along with having a bit better relationship with my dad. I want to attend another Al-Anon meeting, or try attending an Alateen meeting, or an open A.A. meeting to try to get a different perspective from some recovering/recovered alcoholics. I know people keep on telling me that I should worry about myself, but how am I supposed to just worry about myself when alcoholism is a family disease??? It affects the alcoholic and everyone he comes in contact with. I don't want to just let my dad continue the path he's on. I have a good feeling deep down inside that he would like to quit, but feels too ashamed to admit he has a problem. I think after attending one of those meetings, I'll tell my mom about it, and how I feel about this. One problem I have though, is that I'll conjure up what I want to say and how I feel, (before I fall asleep for example) and then the next day I will sort of forget.

Any more advice from someone who has been in a situation that is a bit more similar to mine, I would appreciate it.