View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 02:54 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
TigerLili

People who don't have a problem with alcohol wouldn't even think about the alcohol. When you start switching to soda instead of beer or whatever, you'll probably find that a lot of other people do too. It was the biggest surprise of my life to find that not everyone drank a lot. Many people sit on one drink for an hour, or more! Or just drink diet coke. Revelation, I tell you! Keep an eye out for those non-drinkers and plonk yourself near them perhaps.

The thing about alcoholism is that it doesn't skip over you just because you have a healthy lifestyle and good intentions. It's a disease and you don't get to choose whether or not you have it. It is a progressive disease - chances are if you continue drinking it will get worse and over the next few years you'll probably find yourself drinking more when you do drink, even if you don't end up drinking every day, but this last scenario is fairly common.

If you look at your history of drinking, do you drink more now than you did 2, 5, 10 years ago? I started out drinking with my friends when we went out on weekends and didn't give alcohol a second thought during the week and didn't drink at home. Then I moved to the city and started going out after work and so started drinking during the week, which progressed to drinking at home, which progressed to drinking daily, which progressed to drinking to black out daily. This was a progression of 25 years.

Regardless, it doesn't matter if you're an alcoholic or not. You're in the right place if you want support to quit. You'll feel like a million bucks and will soon get to a place where you don't miss it or want it.