View Single Post
Old 09-22-2011, 01:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
TheOjibway84

Originally Posted by scarletrose View Post
I am 37 and have been drinking since I was 15 years old. I have always loved to party and get drunk. I don't think that I have any deep rooted issues that started me drinking. I just really enjoy alcohol. The problem is that in the last couple of years I find that my preoccupation with alcohol is unhealthy. I don't drink everyday, definitely every week, but a lot of times when I drink I don't seem to have an "off" button. Once I start, I really don't want to stop and I end up the next day with guilt, anxiety and grief over what I may have done or said. I have been having terrible memory issues when I drink. Even if I only have 3-4 drinks and I have blacked out more times than I can count in the last year. However, I do not have withdrawal symptoms from alcohol. I don't wake up craving it. I do not drink alone. And I could never imagine hiding bottles from myself or lying about my drinking. For example, there is so much alcohol in my house right now and I don't sit around thinking about it all day. It's just that when I drink, I drink too much. I guess I am worried because my behavior has been inappropriate lately when I drink. I have been flirting and saying inappropriate things when drunk. I am a wife of 10 years with three young kids. This isn't what I want to be. I don't want to stop drinking, but think maybe I should. Does all of this sound like alcoholic behavior to you guys?
AS Tuesday first replied. no one can say your an alcoholic you have to decide for yourself. But reading from your question there are some signs that you may have an issue with it. But blacking out after 3-4 drinks is not a good sign. I always blacked out when I drank. Only st the start I wasn't such a bad guy and then this year alone I started to become a bad person while drunk. at the start I was a party go happy person. everything was fine. But like you mentioned where you don't crave a drink in the morning, you don't hide bottles to show your not drinking alot when you are and you don't drink alone. Its progressive and that point did reach me when I believed it would never but I was so drinking so much and whenever I wanted I still didn't see the illness I had. But you alone but decide whether your an alcoholic or not like someone once told me if you can't go somewhere, anywhere, sit down and order a drink and have just 1 and not fret about it for the rest of the day you''re fine. But if it's on your mind all day and you need that drink more after 1 then you may have an issue. Good luck and even if you do have a problem there is a way out, I used to think AA was punishment for my drinking and that I was to suffer because I couldn't drink again without ruining something. Turned out to be a great thing for me. Im only 1 month sober but I have been trying for 3 years now to stay sober and it gets worse and worse as I continue to pretend I could drink. We're here for support even if AA isn't for you