Old 09-19-2011, 12:50 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
m1k3

Originally Posted by williamj View Post
Wow, even with the previous therapy my wife and I have had I didn't realize how angry I've become at the AFIL and the situation he's put everyone into. And even though I am so sorry for everyone here who has been through this, I must say the similarities of situations is uncanny, so it does feel somewhat relieving to know we're not the only ones going through this. Thank you everyone. Thank you so much.
Anger is completely normal. When I first moved out on my wife of 36 years I used to enjoy watching the Hulk cartoons on netflix. He'd go into one of his rages and tear everything apart and I'd sit there and think, you call that a rage, wimp.

The part where you talk about the situation he has put everyone in. Nope, he didn't do it. You all chose to react the way you did and you can just as easily choose not to react. Next time he needs a ride to the hospital call 911 and let them take him. You don't have to sit with him, you don't even have to visit. Doesn't mean you have to hate him or anything, all it means is you don't have to react to his behavior.

It was a hard lesson for me to learn but it made a world of difference when I realized that I didn't have to react. Let go and let nature take its own course. (Notice I didn't use god there.) It's not like you have any control so why are you volunteering to assume responsibility?

Just a little something to think about.

Your friend,