View Single Post
Old 09-18-2011, 10:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Beebizzy

Originally Posted by JWC1982 View Post
How have you all done it?
Hi JWC1982,

Best of luck to you and thanks for your post!

I got referred to an addiction psychiatrist and did a medical detox. Seeing this guy was like a 'watershed' moment - I set a quit date, and felt accountable to him, it broke the pattern (former solo, every day drinker here).

As Terminally Unique says, I made a firm decision - no more alcohol. I have not had a hard time with quitting so far, and I love not drinking. 1 month for me.

I have not been 'tested' with any social occasions yet, in fairness, nor have I been back to work since I quit. This slightly worries me, but only slightly because I cannot fail if I do not drink and that is entirely up to me. That's how I look at it, in any case.

For the refusing drinks thing, I plan on simply saying 'no thanks'. I would not be impressed with anyone who insists, nor feel that I owe them an explanation, but if they do I will say 'I'm not drinking at the moment' and move on. I'll repeat the 'no thanks' as many times as necessary - or until I get fed up and then I will just ignore them LOL :-)

It might be an idea, indeed, not to go to the game until you feel more 'solid'...? You wouldn't want to make it harder on yourself. But - up to you.

Good luck to you!
BB