View Single Post
Old 09-17-2011, 10:22 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
danielleinto

Webber, your girlfriend's problem is her problem. Bobby is right about taking care of yourself and getting healthy. 3 years is early days, I remember 3 years in and I believed he would quit for me. I'd think of leaving and think irrational thoughts like, "what if he finds someone else and quits for her"? It took years before I thought clearly and Bobby is right, learn all you can. Drinking is dysfunctional and it makes the partner dysfunctional. Try alanon and if it's not for you then get a counsellor who specializes in addiction and while you're waiting for an appt. read every book on addiction you can get your hands on. Read as many of the threads here as you can.

I don't go to alanon but I'm here and I'm reading and I do alot to help myself grow and to be healthy. You'll know you're getting heathly when you realize that your happiness doesn't depend on her staying sober. I know that my husband is a grown man with eyes in his head, he doesn't need me to tell him what he's doing. These relationships are sick, I wrapped my whole self around his bottle just as much as he did. The fantasy of what life will be like when he's sobber is what kept me sick. His being sober isn't what I need to be happy. Being able to see him as a man instead of a victim is what woke me up. No more what if's.