View Single Post
Old 09-14-2011, 03:16 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Allegory
Depressed

Red face

Originally Posted by MTSlideAddict View Post
Hello and Welcome.

I'm sorry you are going through this. It is tough dealing with a loved one who is an alcoholic, let alone living with them in their active addiction. SR has been a huge help in dealing with my emotions in coping with my situation. I understand that you cannot get to an Al-anon meeting due to the geographical location. They do have some podcasts, and I believe they also have some virtual meetings held electronically through email or telephone.

You did not cause your mom’s alcoholism, you cannot control it, and you cannot cure it. Al-anon will help you understand what you can control, and how to detach with love from the alcoholic to shield yourself from the emotional rollercoaster. No matter how many times you engage in an argument you will always be seen as “wrong” in the eyes of the alcoholic. You will drive yourself crazy trying to reason with her. No matter how much begging you do to get her to stop it won’t do any good until she is ready to stop. The only thing you can control is you. Poke around the other threads; there is some good information here.

Do you go to school? Do you have a councilor at school? Can you locate a councilor/therapist that you can attend? You would greatly benefit with some one-on-one support to help you sort out those jumbled emotions.

Once again, I am so sorry you are going through this, but know that you are not doing it alone.

Thank you so much, You've been really helpful to me. I'm actually in counselling for depression/anxiety, I'm going to look into asking my counselor on ways I can deal with this. Thank you again for your understanding and support. This seems like a really nice place. =]