Old 09-09-2011, 08:00 PM
  # 425 (permalink)  
soberlicious

Location: "I'm not lost for I know where I am. But however, where I am may be lost ..."
I understand how you feel Huskypup. It is nice to go and connect with others, but for me, the dischord I felt (for all the reasons you mentioned) outweighed any benefits I got from the meetings. I went regularly for quite a while, but I had already decided in treatment that I was never going to drink again, so going to the meetings wasn't to keep me sober it was to continue to grow. I began to feel like it was having the opposite effect for me.

I hear what Murray is saying as far as "you will never know how nice the people in a room are if you never go in" this is true...and I know lots of nice Baptist people too, but I am not going to spend lots of time in their church just because they are nice people. We are apples and oranges, the Baptists and I LOL...just not much in common, ya know? I'm sure it would be fun because I'm nice and they're nice, but eventually there would be some awkwardness...and probably some uncomfortable feelings all around. Said Baptist folks and I share a common bond in that we are all human, but beyond that...there isn't much to meet and talk about on a regular basis. So it has gone for me in AA. There are nice people and we share the fact that we have all been addicted to alcohol, but beyond that there isn't much to talk about.

I hear people on SR describe meetings like Murray mentioned where people are open minded and give others the space to be who they need to be. I haven't found any that are consistently like that here though.

Huskypup...hang in there. Let the feelings pass through you.