View Single Post
Old 09-06-2011, 09:38 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
ETA

Originally Posted by Reset View Post
Somehow I think that the part about your fiancee giving you permission points to the heart of the problem. Not because he's a bad guy or anything but unless you're doing this for yourself you're never going to really be free of the addiction. Sobriety can't be conditional on someone else's wishes because it doesn't really cure anything; it's gotta come from within yourself.

It's still great that you quit. Try to get to the point where you're doing it for yourself first though, and it'll be way easier to manage situations like this.
I think it's a combination. I had a drinking problem for years before we met and sometimes I ask myself if we broke up would I drink? I can't say for sure but I do see it as his ultimatum being the motivator/final straw as opposed to doing this for him.

I am seeing rewards personally - that helps. My anxiety is practically gone which is a minor miracle, I feel healthier physically, I'm less afraid, my memory is better ...

AVRT - thanks for the reminder. (You always know just what to say..) It is time to read some old posts I think.