View Single Post
Old 09-04-2011, 09:10 PM
  # 55 (permalink)  
Nightsd

Originally Posted by AVRT View Post
This is probably true, but most people who go to "treatment" think that they are going to be treated, not that they need to turn their life over. Rarely, if ever, are they told that "treatment" is little more than a very expensive introduction to AA prior to signing that intake contract.

You can get the same thing that you would get at most $30,000 rehab joints by reading "Under the Influence" by James Milam, the "Big Book" of AA, and going to some meetings. Total cost: $16.

If you want the "rehab video" experience, you can find Father Martin's "Chalk Talk on Alcoholism" online for free and his lessons on his YouTube channel.
If I had never gone to at least a detox facility, I doubt I ever would have been strong enough to go through it at home. I just can't see myself ever doing that. Rehab is good for some people. It takes them out of what is sometimes a vicious situation and allows them to get their heads on straight before going back. Some people need the structure and support to get their heads straight.