View Single Post
Old 09-02-2011, 05:19 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
TheEnd
High on Life

Originally Posted by detroiter View Post
I’ve hidden from a lot of them that I’m an alcoholic because I lied numerous times about health problems and medications that kept me from drinking. I don’t know how to tell them that I’m not drinking because I’m an alcoholic, I’m worried they’ll judge me. On the other hand, they might not even believe me because I’ve been such a high functioning alcoholic and done rather well in life. I don’t even know how I’m going to have a relationship with some of them anymore because everything was just all about drinking and partying. I was actually going out to the bars with a lot of them and successfully staying sober, but that was because they weren’t trying to force feed me drinks because they thought I was on meds that I couldn’t drink on. That excuse is out the window now. I guess all that really matters in the end is my sobriety and we’ll see who I lose while staying sober.
If you can't be honest with your friends, you're going to have these episode on a regular basis. If all your friends want to do is drink and you're an alcoholic, then that's a bad combination in my book. Maybe you should consider alternate activities with these friends or maybe even alternate friends.