Old 09-01-2011, 05:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
CagedBird

Thank you for your replies. I've spent the last few days reading posts here. It's terrifying how completely textbook our situation seems to be.

Originally Posted by nodaybut2day View Post
I stayed for longer than I should have out of the desire to be the good, patient wife who "stood by her man", "through thick and thin" (insert all those stupid codependent sayings here). Do you believe you'll be the bad guy in your parents' eyes...your parents who truly see your husband for what he is? I'd venture to say "no". You have an out with your parents. Why not take it?
This is exactly how I feel.

It's more that I am afraid of being the bad guy in his eyes (stupid I know) and some of our mutual friends, along with his family.

I do suspect that his parents may on some level understand, and even see it coming. I hope that they will still be a positive part of my life... the only thing that I really see changing that is when we get to the custody issues, as I will do everything in my power to limit my son's exposure to his father unless he is sober, and that will probably be a major court battle.

Everyone in our lives knows what is going on. His parents and mine, my coworkers and friends... I stopped hiding it and have gone into full blown spew mode when someone brings it up. Everything just comes pouring out.

It may sound stupid, I suddenly feel ridiculous just typing it, but part of me is holding out because we just moved into this duplex in April and our lease is not up until May.

I just can't imagine having YET ANOTHER bad thing on my credit, or another person calling me for money... and I definitely can't ask him to leave and take it on all by myself, because I can't afford to live here completely on my own... I would have to move in with my parents, who live over an hour away.