Old 08-31-2011, 02:29 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
JustAYak
Clever Yak

((Rita)) - It's not a bad thing that they took pity on her. It's a human reaction to tradgedy. When my dad died teachers who really did not like me (I wasn't a very good student...) gave me extensions on assigments, one even gave me a $30 gift card to a restaurant in town--I got a ton of sympathy reactions and people who pitied me, generally it was the people I least expected it to be. Still, as a result, I didn't think to myself "Oh wow, this is the perfect time to get what I want." I was grieving, there was no way I was thinking about that. If a 17-year-old doesn't think about it like that, I really really doubt a 7-year-old will. There's plenty of time for her to learn about rules and disappointments. Don't worry, like Tess said, it'll be just fine!

Edit: About feeling entitled to stuff, a sense of entitlement she may feel as she gets older, but not as a result of this one instance. I would be lying if I didn't say I feel entitled to SOMETHING good in my life (when I have my woe-is-me moments), but then I realize I have a lot of good in my life along with a lot of bad in my life. It balances itself.