Old 08-31-2011, 09:55 AM
  # 408 (permalink)  
HuskyPup
Shape-Shifting Super-Hero

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
Does anyone else feel that when people call alcoholism "cunning, baffling and powerful" that it is a form of anthropomorphism? It bothers me
Is this to say it is somewhere between a fox and a wolf?

Interesting analogy! I have a keen interest in both foxes and wolves, and wild dogs in general...especially foxes. Perhaps by understanding them better, I can avoid falling pray to their wiles.

Well, another day here, 41 I think...tomorrow I will tale to my therapist about some aspects of recovery I am questioning: I take a multi-faceted approach, and am wondering how 'close' to AA my relationship should be, in relation to my personal history, sense of self esteem, and other modes of seeking recovery...to what extent is limited participation helpful, and to what extent does it raise the question of being a threat to the group authority, and thus set up the dynamic of choosing to move towards greater inclusion by accepting the dogma, or greater exclusion by remaining independent? I have followed a path that re-writes the steps in much different language, focusing on the positive, the creative and the nurturing...but perhaps it is best to follow this more on my own, though group contact is helpful. I often think to myself: perhaps I should start an alternative recover group myself, open to different modalities. Or that almost any group of recovering people is beneficial, in ways, but that the greater the dogma, the lesser I feel comfortable and willing to participate. And there it is: this social aspect that nonetheless seems helpful. Maybe best to stay at arms length, here, and play it by ear. Or perhaps I am just lonely.