View Single Post
Old 08-26-2011, 11:28 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Thumper

These threads come up about once a year or so I've noticed.

I've never posted on one before but time and recovery have been kind to me because I have one to post this time.

This is a situation that is laughable, not so much the person. This situation is part of a camping trip that was such a disaster, and so sad, that it prompted me to file for divorce when we got back. It was my bottom. I can look back now and find some humor here and there so yay me. Here is the story.

We were planning our first 'family' vacation in about 4 years. Prior to we had taken separate vacations because family is boring when you want to drink and do things with the guys instead.

Camping. Now this is something we loved and used to do together as a family all the time. We even camped for our honeymoon. This isn't any camping trip but 6 nights and 7 days of camping, in a tent, with four kids 10 and under. Lots of work. I had lists for everything. I *begged* my ah to NOT PACK THE TRUCK until I got off work. I'm no idiot. I know how the man packs and his lack of organization.

You guessed it. He packs. *sigh* OK, I go with it. Load up the kids and drive drive drive. I go to set up the tent because of course my xah is socializing and enjoying his beers, or driving for more beers, while I watch kids and set up camp.

We have a tent - *YAY* No Tent poles. *BOO* Really. No tent poles. I'm looking around at 4 kids and 7 days worth of camping crap and no way to set up a tent. hahahahahahahahaha. I was actually still laughing at this point. Soo typical I can't even tell you. So I called around and found a tent to borrow and set it up all while he sat in the friends camper and drank himself silly that day and every day for the rest of the camping trip losing keys and phones and everything else under the sun.

But to go camping without tent poles is FUNNY people. Maybe it is only funny because it was so entirely PREDICTABLE that I wasn't even surprised. It is FUNNY because it was my normal and while that is an ironic funny, I still chuckle. It is funny because we were laughing at the time making no indication at all that anyone felt this was just anything more then forgetting a toothbrush. It is hard to explain because when I read what I wrote, it really doesn't sound all that funny. I feel a little exhausted reading it so I grasp again for the funny part. I feel heavy, like all the wreckage and damage of alcoholism is just laying there on top of me and if I can laugh just a little, I throw some of it off.

I was in a very dark and sad place when I could not find the comedy of arriving without tent poles. I'm glad I can chuckle about it now and find that crumb of funny in such a not funny weekend/situation. Sort of like getting locked out of your car by your own dog. I'm not really laughing at that story either but I get the comedy of living it. It is healthy IMO, to crawl out from under the damage in any way we can, and I'm sorry if that is hard for others to hear.