Thread: meth?
View Single Post
Old 08-22-2011, 09:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
saltydog

meth?

I recently visited a family member who I hadn't seen in a couple months and I was completely shocked by what I saw. He had lost a lot of weight, had sores on his face, his hair and eyes looked crazy, he looked old, and he was sweating even though it wasn't hot that day. He was talking fast and wierd and his hands were shaking when he tried to use them. Later I talked to a friend who suggested that he might be using drugs, like meth or coke. I looked into this more and agree that it sounds like meth. However, I have never seen someone on meth before, so this is purely based on what I have read about it. Has anyone here had experience with meth use and can share their thoughts on it?

Other things I have noticed:

1) He seems to get "sick" frequently. Apparantly, he had been sick in bed for several days before my visit. When I saw him, he said he was still not feeling well and he thought he might have pneumonia. However, his mood was so elevated and hyper. He just was not acting like someone who was sick, and he certainly was not sick enough to have pneumonia.

2) Also, he seems to make up reasons to leave for a little while, like he needs to drop something off at work on a Sunday or go get something (that he doesn't really need) from the store. It's like he comes up with these stupid reasons to get away for a few minutes.

3) His moods and behaviors have been getting crazier over the past several months. For a day or two he is completely manic, talking fast, staying up all hours and acting wierd. Then he might crash for days and seem depressed. He is often mean, defensive, or irrational. Then he is overly emotional and affectionate. It's so up and down with him.

4) He has been having a lot of problems at work over the past couple years. Switching jobs a lot, and missing work. He is always fearful that he is going to get fired. He was accused of using drugs at a previous job.

There are a lot of things that don't add up and I won't get in to all the details. He has had substance abuse problems in the past with pot and pills, and I have suspected for a long time that he might be bipolar. But this is the worse I have ever seen him. I feel like everytime I see him, he is worse off than the last time. I don't know what to do. I am worried about him, but what worries me most is that he has small children and I am afraid for them.