meth?

Old 08-22-2011, 09:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

meth?

I recently visited a family member who I hadn't seen in a couple months and I was completely shocked by what I saw. He had lost a lot of weight, had sores on his face, his hair and eyes looked crazy, he looked old, and he was sweating even though it wasn't hot that day. He was talking fast and wierd and his hands were shaking when he tried to use them. Later I talked to a friend who suggested that he might be using drugs, like meth or coke. I looked into this more and agree that it sounds like meth. However, I have never seen someone on meth before, so this is purely based on what I have read about it. Has anyone here had experience with meth use and can share their thoughts on it?

Other things I have noticed:

1) He seems to get "sick" frequently. Apparantly, he had been sick in bed for several days before my visit. When I saw him, he said he was still not feeling well and he thought he might have pneumonia. However, his mood was so elevated and hyper. He just was not acting like someone who was sick, and he certainly was not sick enough to have pneumonia.

2) Also, he seems to make up reasons to leave for a little while, like he needs to drop something off at work on a Sunday or go get something (that he doesn't really need) from the store. It's like he comes up with these stupid reasons to get away for a few minutes.

3) His moods and behaviors have been getting crazier over the past several months. For a day or two he is completely manic, talking fast, staying up all hours and acting wierd. Then he might crash for days and seem depressed. He is often mean, defensive, or irrational. Then he is overly emotional and affectionate. It's so up and down with him.

4) He has been having a lot of problems at work over the past couple years. Switching jobs a lot, and missing work. He is always fearful that he is going to get fired. He was accused of using drugs at a previous job.

There are a lot of things that don't add up and I won't get in to all the details. He has had substance abuse problems in the past with pot and pills, and I have suspected for a long time that he might be bipolar. But this is the worse I have ever seen him. I feel like everytime I see him, he is worse off than the last time. I don't know what to do. I am worried about him, but what worries me most is that he has small children and I am afraid for them.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Change, thank you for your response. I tried to reply to your private message, but it wouldn't let for some reason. I really appreciate the suggestion and I will look into that.
Old 08-22-2011, 09:37 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I don't have any experience with meth personally, but I do know that everything you described seems like he is using meth. He was probably "sick" like dope sick bc he hadn't been able to get his fix yet so he was having withdrals. And if he has had drug abuse problems before I would strongly believe he was using. Ask him to take a drug test for you, then you can stop having to worry "what if he is using, what is he using,etc" and once you know you can decide what to do from there to help yourself.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:04 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Saltydog,

So sorry that you had to witness your family member in such a horrible state. I hate to be the one to say this to you, but from your description of his behavior, I am positive he is using Meth. I have never personally used it, but I do know several people who have and I personally witnessed the horrible effects that Meth can have on a person's life (the infamous "college years").

Every symptom fits Meth use - major weight loss, sores on his face (prolonged use of Meth causes very dry, itchy skin, which the user will scratch and pick at), dilated pupils, "bugging" eyes, sweating due to increased body temperature, extremely hyper, randomly leaving the house to "run errands", erratic mood (happy & affectionate one day then angry and defensive the next), manic behavior followed by a crash (sleeping all day, seems depressed), paranoia, changes/loses jobs frequently, etc.

You also mentioned that he said he felt like he had pneumonia. Well, people who smoke Meth for long periods of time are prone to pneumonia and other types of respiratory infections. I personally believe he is smoking it, not that snorting it is any better, just saying that it fits the extreme behaviors that you described. And if he was snorting it, he wouldn't have to leave the house to do so.

His behavior actually scares me a bit because it seems like he has been using for a while, and the longer he uses, the more difficult it will be for him to stop. And he seems to be oblivious to the fact that his addiction is extremely obvious to anyone who spends a minute of time with him.

Have any of your other family members seen him lately? It just seems odd to me that no one else has mentioned this change in him. Or maybe he's avoiding them - that would make a lot of sense.

I'm not in any position to give you advice, but I will tell you that Meth use of this caliber is pretty dangerous. Just be very careful and take care of yourself. If you ever need someone to talk to, send me a message anytime.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:06 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Cynical, yes he is married. His wife told me that they have been having problems. She said he had been moody and she wants him to see a doctor. She's also depressed and overwhelmed. I had been talking to her a lot on the phone and encouraging her to get help. I just didn't expect things to be as bad as they were when I went over there. I plan to talk to his wife again tomorrow, when we can be alone and talk. But I don't even know how to begin to help her with this.

Stillhere, thank you for the suggestion. I am certain he will not take a drug test for me, but his wife might be able to get him to. I don't want her to do anything that might make him angry though (only because he seems irrational).
Old 08-22-2011, 10:30 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Artist,

Thanks for your insight. Yes, he does manage to find reasons not to hang out with the family. However, a few of us saw him that day, and it was obvious to all of us that he was on something. We just didn't know what he was on. Also, I feel like none of us had a complete picture before. After this last visit, we started comparing notes. Things that didn't add up before make sense now.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:05 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

As Cynical said, I think the very best thing you can do in this situation is encourage his wife to call a DV (domestic violence) hotline and at the very least get a good safety plan in place. Hopefully they can offer counseling services to her as it sounds to me that she is completely emotionally beaten down. She needs help. Poor dear.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Ann
Nature Girl

I agree, safety first for the wife and children if there are any at home.

With meth they often become delusional and paranoid, thinking someone or something is "after them" and they are not in control of any rational thought at those times.

When my son went from using other drugs to using meth, I knew he had crossed a very dangerous line into a depth of addiction from which he may never return.

My prayers go out for all of them.

Hugs
Old 08-23-2011, 07:13 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Safety for you is also important. If this guy realizes that you are trying to disrupt things, you may be a target for his anger. And meth addicts (at least the one I know who is my AS) can become very agitated particularly if they haven't used in a day or two.

Use caution.....you may be stirring a pot that is already volitile.

gentle hugs
ke
Old 08-23-2011, 08:49 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Most urban Police have a protocol for approaching Meth addicts because they are very unpredictable and trend violent. And yet, most close family members persist in the fantasy that their Meth addict would not hurt a fly....till he/she does.

He may also be using multiple drugs and it's a waste of time to try and figure it out. Drug testing serves no purpose. You already know the outcome. Having proof is not going to snap him out of it.

The mother of these children may have her own drug issues and/or be seriously codependent. If she is unable/unwilling to take action on behalf of the children, are you willing to do so?
Old 08-23-2011, 09:23 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I've mentioned an old roommate before; she was a meth addict. She's now serving life with no possibility of parole for murder. She was tweaking and burned a house down. There were people in the house, including children, and all got out except for one. Before meth she was a kind and gentle person.
Old 08-23-2011, 04:35 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
it is what it is

please do not delay making sure his wife and kids are safe - present him with options - if he is willing it may do some good - if he is not willing you cannot make him(the proverbial horse to the water situation) i tried for several years to fight my son's meth addiction - fortunately he was arrested during his worst downward spiral and is now safe and sober in prison - there is hope - just don't stand in the way of any of his consequences - i am so sorry your familly is having to deal with this - it is heartbreaking for all involved - my prayers will be with you -