View Single Post
Old 08-21-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Beebizzy

I'm on day 2 of a medically supervised alcohol detox. Doing good so far. Will post more about that further in.

Your post struck me because I'm a heavy smoker, and my idea was to quit both at the same time (tried to quit smoking a zillion times already). My reasoning was that, like you, I want to be healthy with everything, not 'just' one thing. I figured that if I am going to have to 'mix things up', break habits and routines, and be 'weirded-out' for a while might as well kill two birds with one stone. Also, on valium I thought I'd stress less (not the case actually). I don't really see it as two battles, but one big one (booze & cigs).

Having said that - still smoking. I'm absolutely prioritising quitting drinking - nothing will compromise that. But I'm miffed that I'm still smoking.

The doctor said I could give quitting smoking a try, by all means, but that he can help with that later (next week, he said) if I want.

I've not written off the idea of quitting still this week (off work for a week, which might help). But nothing is getting in the way of quitting drinking. And as you say, it passes the time. Sort of.

Good luck to you and congrats your AF time. Your posts are very encouraging.

BB