Notices

question about alcoholics that smoke???

Old 08-21-2011, 08:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

question about alcoholics that smoke???

I'm an alcoholic with about 4 months of sobriety. I picked up the smokes after I quit the drink. I'm smoking about 15-20 a day. I know the alcohol was going to destroy my life, my body and mind which it was doing anyway. I rationalize my smoking that I have made a big change in my life by giving up the booze. I'm 30 and am thinking at about 1 year sobriety I'll give away the smokes. I've quit smoking for 4 years before. I know quitting alcohol should mean I want to live a more healthy life and not smoke but it gets me through the days at the moment. I know the right thing to do would be to just quit smoking and be done with the worry.

I was wondering how much other alcoholics are smoking a day? and how they feel about it? I feel a bit guilty about it but as I said I've set a date to quit and I'll stick to that and think about it then and concentrate more on my recovery from alcoholism now as that was very destructive and nearly killed me (not that smoking won't) and it has been really hard but rewarding to be sober now. I've made heaps of changes to my life already and trying to knock off the smokes right now would be a hassle I don't need.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:33 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

IMHO, keep smoking. Tackle one thing at a time. Staying sober will get easier over time, and when that time comes, you can quit smoking.

Personally I'm a long distance runner training for a half-marathon, a vegetarian, I've been sober about 1.5 years and I smoke 5-10 cigarettes a day. I rationalize that the other stuff balances it out, LOL. I do plan to quit within the next couple of months, now that I'm no longer struggling with frequent desires to drink.

In the early days it did really help, when I was craving alcohol I would have a cigarette instead and that was pretty satisfying, no idea why.

GG
Old 08-21-2011, 09:52 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'm on day 2 of a medically supervised alcohol detox. Doing good so far. Will post more about that further in.

Your post struck me because I'm a heavy smoker, and my idea was to quit both at the same time (tried to quit smoking a zillion times already). My reasoning was that, like you, I want to be healthy with everything, not 'just' one thing. I figured that if I am going to have to 'mix things up', break habits and routines, and be 'weirded-out' for a while might as well kill two birds with one stone. Also, on valium I thought I'd stress less (not the case actually). I don't really see it as two battles, but one big one (booze & cigs).

Having said that - still smoking. I'm absolutely prioritising quitting drinking - nothing will compromise that. But I'm miffed that I'm still smoking.

The doctor said I could give quitting smoking a try, by all means, but that he can help with that later (next week, he said) if I want.

I've not written off the idea of quitting still this week (off work for a week, which might help). But nothing is getting in the way of quitting drinking. And as you say, it passes the time. Sort of.

Good luck to you and congrats your AF time. Your posts are very encouraging.

BB
Old 08-21-2011, 10:56 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm on day 9 sober, but I smoke at least a pack a day maybe up to 23 cigs on a heavy day when I'm sober,

when I was drinking I could easily smoke 30 a day.

It's gross I know but I am a nicotine junkie and quitting is just too hard for me right now.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by TwelveSteps View Post
IMHO, keep smoking. Tackle one thing at a time. Staying sober will get easier over time, and when that time comes, you can quit smoking.
Every time I read something like this on the forums, I cringe. Smoking kills more people than alcohol and all other drugs combined, and current and former alcoholics at a much higher rate than the general population. It also interferes with recovery from alcohol-induced brain damage.

Smoking Interferes With Recovery From Alcohol-Related Brain Damage

I know the cancer sticks are tricky, and I've quit 157 times myself over the years, but my advice to the OP is to quit the smokes as soon as possible. Some of the best free material on quitting that I've found, and used, was Joel Spitzer's library over at whyquit.com.

Note to mods - WhyQuit is entirely non-commercial.
Old 08-21-2011, 11:27 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Ugh, this post totally resonates with me.

Now I've lost the daily fear I was going to die from drinking, it's well overdue to quit the cigs, too. I still wake up with the fear of dying - but now it's from smoking. Well - it was always there with the smoking, I used to seesaw between which one was going to get me first. I used to bounce back and forth between quitting drinking and quitting smoking, and for many years didn't quit either. Quitting drinking is probably the only addiction I've ever managed to nail in my 38 years on the planet.

Now the drinking's gone..it's time. I have an issue though, I just don't have the mindset to do it successfully, I don't feel the same way about quitting as I did the drink. I'm scared to wait for my smoker's rock bottom (what's it going to be? Lung cancer???).

I smoke about 20 a day (as does my husband). I've bought an electronic cigarette, but it just stays in my purse. I absolutely HAVE to nail quitting the cigs though, and I've already started. Yesterday I smoked 17, noted each one, and today I'll have 16. The day after I'll have 15. It goes against everything I believe in with quitting the booze (tapering/moderation is dragging out the angst), but I just don't feel the same way about them as I did with the alcohol.

And that makes me feel a total hypocrite
Old 08-21-2011, 01:02 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
I'm here to learn!

I had no problem quitting the smokes... Well, at least when you compare it to how hard quitting the booze was. I smoked over a pack a day and quit July of 2010.

Prior to that, I tried quitting several times and failed. I tried everything: the gum, the patches, the pills... None of it helped me too much. In the end I just did it cold turkey.

I feel the same way about smoking now as I feel about drinking: I wonder why I didn't quit sooner. Actually with smoking, now I can't imagine going back to it. Every time I smell it it just rubs me the wrong way.

Good luck!
Old 08-21-2011, 09:27 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I quit smoking about 8 months after I quit drinking. I've quit smoking so many times I can't count. The longest time was maybe 6 months and I'd usually start smoking again after a trip to a bar with a smoker friend. Alcohol, one way or another, would get me to start smoking again, and usually when I least expected it.

That was about 18 months ago. While giving up nicotine certainly seems to get harder the older I get (and one of the biggest deterrents I have now too), not having the alcohol around makes not starting alot easier.

You know yourself the best. If you can give both up at the same time, go for it. But take it easy if you think giving up both at the same time might cause you to take both back up again.
Old 08-21-2011, 09:31 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I actually smoke more now that I am sober but it is cheaper now

I spent more on smokes when I was drunk though. I always lost them, and had to get more, left them burning, lost lighters, and gave many away.

:rotfxko
Old 08-22-2011, 03:40 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
I got nothin'

I'm an on and off smoker. Don't feel guilty about it. The only reason it bothers me is I can notice the effect it has on my endurance when I'm riding my bike...and I don't smoke much.

Haven't had any for a couple of days.
Old 08-22-2011, 07:04 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
part time member

OMG I quit smoking in 1992

quit drinking in 2009

started smoking again at my 1 year of sobriety. At first I would only smoke a few. Now I am smoking more and more. I ordered a e cigarette almost a month ago..I'll let you know how that goes. I know that starting back after 18 years was really dumb..but the drinking was even dumber!
Old 08-22-2011, 08:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Drinking and smoking went hand in hand for me. I quit them at the same time. I sometimes think it might be nice to have a cigarette once I. Awhile but I know that it's a gateway drug for me that would lead me back to drink. So instead I just stand next to my smoking friends and breathe deeply

IMO, if you are like me and the two are entwined in your pus he quit them both at the same time.

I smoked a pack day every day for 5 years prior to quitting and prior to thT the smoking ebbed and flowed.
Old 08-22-2011, 10:39 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I smoke a small cigar now and then. It feels weird not having any vices.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:32 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I have the same question

I started AA 2 weeks ago. I buy about 1 pack a week. I like to have a smoke either before or after my meeting. Gives me a chance to sit outside and converse with people. I know, now I have to smoke to be able to talk to people? haha. 1 pack a week equals about 2.5 smokes per day. Not horrible. I feel better about that than a 6 pack, or 2 bottles of wine, or 1/5 a fifth a day. If it helps you not to drink, then do it. Gee, I don't think we're supposed to give up all vices at once- that's when we relapse.
Old 08-23-2011, 07:44 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
AMD

Over the years I really mostly smoked when I drank. I tried nicotine gum and was hooked on that past 5 years- and smoked when drinking some. At points in past 5 years I have smoked a pack a day to as little as a pack a week. 6 weeks ago I must have had a spiritual experience bk I woke up and decided to quit drinking, smoking, and gum. I did, all at once. Drank again after 2 weeks for less than a week then back to sober. I haven't missed or wanted to smoke at all. Quiting all at once was the same withdrawal funk for a few days as just quiting the alcohol again. As bad as those few days were, it was only a few days. My husband smokes a pack a day still. It stinks, wastes money, makes him feel like crap, and I notice how often he has to go outside and smoke one. Wastes a couple hours a day smoking. Good luck and do your best!
Old 08-23-2011, 07:58 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Last year I gave my first real effort to quit drinking. I was a light smoker (I guess), smoking about one pack a day at the most. I kept up the same routine I had just without alcohol. Eventually after about 100 days or so I one stressful event led me out to get a beer. Of course, smoking and drinking had always gone hand in hand. I really think I was just tricking myself the whole time. I wasn't really letting it all go because I kept smoking.

This time, 88 days ago, I stopped both at the same time cold turkey and haven't looked back. I truly believe I had to let them both go in order to really discover true sobriety. I have no chemicals in my body that affect me and no habits that are related to one another. Smoking reminded me somewhat about drinking, and I believe drinking would remind me of smoking.
Old 08-23-2011, 09:42 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I'm still a smoker.....been in recovery 19 months.....I didn't want to overwhelm myself with quitting two things at once..I know how I work.....I tackled my worse demon first...one thing a time...it took all I had to become sober...smoking is the next....
Old 08-23-2011, 12:33 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Isn't there a higher power that can handle cigarettes?
Old 08-24-2011, 05:54 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I've just started using patches...this is day 1.

I just hope to God I don't cave in.
Old 08-24-2011, 06:16 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

God luck, I too went back to smoking once I quit drinking.

Just like drinking the key is to watch the triggers;