View Single Post
Old 08-17-2011, 03:13 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
UnResolved

Sorry to hear about your situation. There can be so many variables involved as to why he will not leave. Such as ... does he have some place else to live, or does he have any rights to stay where he is now ...etc. and feel he is entitled stay in your home. Maybe he just fears leaving and being out on his own.

My AH had little awareness of how dramatically his drinking had changed him and his behavior. Not many alcoholics do. As a result, he really felt he wasn’t doing anything that wrong, and that I was just being unreasonable. This is all part of the distorted thought processes of an alcoholic - they do not see things the same way other people do. Also, in my case, my AH felt it was his right to stay in our home - and unfortunately laws many times support this right since our home was in both of our names.

When he was sober, he would be more cooperative, but as with many alcoholics - his mood and attitude would swing back and forth constantly and he could go from being reasonable to confrontational in a matter of minutes. For him, leaving was a power play he didn’t want to lose.

Eventually, after considerable effort and many lengthy explanations about how his drinking was seriously traumatizing his entire family, he reluctantly left - all while hoping he could somehow find recovery and be able to return home again.

As long as your husband is struggling with an active addiction, most likely you will not be negotiating with someone rational and reasonable, capable of fair and logical decisions. Hopefully, you will be able to navigate through this situation and eventually your husband will honor your request - and your life and home will become peaceful once more.