Old 08-16-2011, 06:46 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
stuartp

Hi Everyone . . .thanks for your well-wishes. Yes, yes, yes . . .I am trying to focus on my recovery - it just feels really selfish at this time. ANd it's really good to keep reading this same thing over and over from you all - it helps to reinforce it for me.

When she brought up something this morning about not understanding my recovery or drinking, I just told her I hoped that someone in Alanon would be able to help her through that (she's been going for about 10 months, but not sure how much she's 'jumped in'. And . . . this is not my issue). Anyway, this suggestion seemed to get me off the hook, give her something to think about, and I think, averted a potentially stressful discussion that I don' think would have been helpful for either of us. It was a great reinforcement for what I need to be doing on a more regular basis.

GOWEST - on a side note, it's a male/femail brain thing that men want to fix problems and women want to talk through them (without the other person commenting, fixing, etc.). Of course, this is a generalization but oftentime true. It took about 10 years of my wife telling me to just listen and not fix. Now, (apart from the recovery issues etc), if she tells me something, I am sure to ask if she wants my opinion or not - it's about 50/50 that she wants it/doesnt.)

Thanks again everyone!