Old 08-13-2011, 08:30 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
lillamy

Well...
I see you're in the Northeast and I'm in the Northwest, and that might be part of it, and given the age of the guy you went out with, I suspect I'm also quite a bit older than you are...

... but if I went out on a first date with someone, I would expect to split the check. Actually, I would want to, otherwise I'd feel indebted to him somehow, and sort of on the hook for going out on a second date, even if I thought he was a total douchebag. Of course, I haven't dated for 20 years, so I could be totally out of touch. To me, his comment "other girls would have" was much more offensive than him asking you to pitch in the tip (so in my eyes, it was good riddance either way).

That said -- if it's an important boundary for you, by all means, stick to your guns. But I also think it might be worth thinking about why that is such an important boundary to you? It isn't for me, but I have other boundaries that are very important -- and it's usually because they're a reflection of something my AXH used to do.