View Single Post
Old 08-10-2011, 09:39 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
outtolunch

Originally Posted by tiredoflies View Post
I

For the past two years, I believe my husband has been relatively clean. We moved away from our home up north about two years ago to get away from the bad crowd. I know over the past two years he has used a few times...especially when going to parties.

Geographical cures do not work. The problem is within him.

Recently, my husband found out that his dad is dying of cancer and might have 4-6 months if he is lucky. Since then, everything has gone down hill.

I know normal people don't crush and snort pain pills. I am really worried about him and I don't know what to do. I don't want to go down this path again .....

So, don't. This is something you control.

but I am really afraid to not be there for him while he is going through something so difficult. I know he is hurting and that losing his dad will be the hardest thing he has ever done....I just don't think I can just look the other way this time. He gets so mad and so short with me. I am tired of fighting and I don't want my little boys living around this situation.

He's snorting pills in your family home.
How is this acceptable to you?
What happens if one of the kids comes across the crap he leaves behind?
Your children are learning how to cope with life, treat people and allow others to treat them from both of you.

Part of me just is fed up but the other part of me wants to help him get through losing his dad. I can't just let him fail...

Most people lose their parents. It's the natural order of life. Many find it hard to cope. Many take responsibility for their feelings and seek grief counseling to acquire the coping skills.

Instead your guy uses it as an excuse to do what addicts do.

I don't want my boys to miss out on having them in his life because I know who he can be when he doesn't use.

Who he can be is not who he is, right now.

This morning he told me that he was thinking about going to live with his dad for the next few months until he passes and wondered if I could take care of the boys - do I let him I go...what do I do? I am so lost.

Assuming dad is up north, this sounds like he will not be working. How does that impact the family from a financial standpoint?

Sounds more like he just wants to check out and do what addicts do.
Sorry for being so blunt, here. There are red flags all around this situation.
The children come first. Dad is an addict not capable of putting his children first. That means it's up to you.

You did not cause this.
You cannot control this.
You cannot cure this.

You can protect your children from their dad and his addiction.