Old 08-03-2011, 11:48 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
artsoul
SR Fan

Thanks for the post - you really described the way I felt before I quit. I felt like I was just hanging on most days and didn't want to think about anything, answer the phone, or talk to people....... things just seemed so overwhelming all the time.

It took getting sober to see that 99% of this was the alcohol all along. I spent those 6-7 hours/day "sober" too, but that's the thing: there was nothing sober about it. Anxiety and emotion and depression filled those hours because even though I had gotten over the worst of the hangover, I was still withdrawing. It wasn't until I had 4 days sober that those things started to lift. After a week, I was smiling again, even feeling like a new person (which was the "real" me all along).

I used to drink and think about getting sober and wonder what it would be like. It sounded good, but I was terrified to commit. It seemed like it would just add more stress on top of what I already had and I'd be setting myself up for failure. And I had even been sober twice in the past for over 3 years - you would think I'd remember! But no, it wasn't until the alcohol was out of my system that I realized/remembered how good it felt. When you feel great, the world looks very different.

Just do it. You'll see!:ghug3