View Single Post
Old 08-03-2011, 09:17 PM
  # 128 (permalink)  
AllLiesAndJest

Back here again after a relatively quiet period.
Any postings after Missy7's seems rather trivial, so I'm a little hesitant ....
Today is Day 101 for me.
I'm proud of myself for having achieved that period of abstinence, but I haven't had to face the challenges of a scale like that of Missy7.
Nevertheless, I had hoped that staying off the booze would be getting much easier by now.
Most of the time it is. But then, from nowhere, it's suddenly a huge challenge.
I stopped posting on this forum, as (for a while) I thought that I should stop obsessing about alcohol, and despite all the wondeful help and support available on this forum, I did wonder if it contributed (in my own case) to a tendency to continue focusing on alcohol rather than just getting on with my (new) life.
But I'm struggling again at the moment, to be honest: toughing it out through willpower and constant self-coaching. My wife is supportive, but I've always played my alcohol problems in a low-key way with her. She hasn't a clue how much of a struggle it has been.
Between us, my wife and I have lost 5 close relatives in 12 months, and my best friend died last week at just 50 years of age. I've known her since my school days, some 30 years or so. Life can be cr*p sometimes, can't it?
I've also moved house in the last few days: a totally new start. I am optimistic that this will signal the beginning of a new and happier phase, although the logistics of the move have been stressful - predictably so, I guess. The removal company proved to be a poor choice - quite a bit of damage to some bits of furniture. Not to worry - they're only "things". We've moved to a small village in rural Bedfordshire, UK. It's a small community so it should be realtively easy to meet new people and build new relationships - I hope so, anyway. The house is in a poor state of repair, so I'm hoping that this will give me plenty of DIY projects to occupy my evenings and weekends - especially as there are three quaint English pubs within 5 minutes walk of our new home!!
Anyway, if you've managed to read all this .... thank you.
I'm going to try, once again, to get some sleep now. It's 5.00am here, and the dawn chorus is just beginning .... noisy bl**dy birds !!!!!