Old 08-03-2011, 01:30 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

White......
And I wonder if this is true in sobriety? Does an appreciation of life come back?

From what I've experienced first hand and seen first hand, anything and EVERYthing is possible in recovery. The problem is that I'm not always willing to put in the legwork to get the things I want. --imagine that?!?!

The biggest "problem" in my recovery is that I'm involved - and destroying a counterproductive and continually overreaching ego doesn't come easily.

One of the better lessons I've learned in the short time I've been in recovery though, is that if my life isn't, for the most part..... FANTASTIC...... the odds have been 100% that it's because I'm refusing to let go of some old tools and/or techniques or I just won't consider trying something new or different that doesn't make complete sense to me prior to trying it out.

Another big lesson has been the reality that sobriety and recovery should be and will be FAR more enjoyable than my old life ever was - again, taken on the whole. If and when it's not, my first place is to look at what I've got in the game.....what am I doing and what am I not doing. If I'm not TRULY enjoying sobriety...and getting everything I can out of life...... my experience has always been that it's because I'm failing the process, not because the process if failing me.

It's true.....sobriety is really only available to those who want it. But on the other hand, for most of us, really enjoyable recovery is only there for those willing to work for it.

My great grand sponsor (he's coming up on 52 years sobriety in a month or two) says at almost EVERY meeting I've been to with him, "If you want to get sober, stay sober and have a helluva happy life ---- You're GOING to have to do a lot of things you don't want to do." Man......how true those words have proven to be for me...