Old 08-03-2011, 01:17 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
SSIL75
New to Real Life

Originally Posted by WhiteKnuckles View Post
T
I am reading a book and one of the protagonists talks about quitting drugs and how she actually ENJOYS things again. Music sounds better, movies are better, she WANTS to spend time with friends and family, she works out just for the sake of taking good care of herself…etc. etc. And I wonder if this is true in sobriety? Does an appreciation of life come back?
It DOES. And for me, forget it 'coming back'.. it was never there before! I have been drinking since my late teens and before that I wasn't happy, either.

I can't explain the stupidshit that makes me happy now. Seriously. Last night I was out at the grocery store and on the way home I got a starbucks and drove the long way so I could enjoy it. Just driving along.. .listening to talk radio... sipping my coffee. The weather had just cooled enough that I could open the windows. I live in the country and it was just beautiful.

I get moments like that all the time. I feel like 'aha! THIS is why most people I know aren't alcoholics' lol. They've already found joy in life. Me I was always chasing that next buzz in part because I had never found a 'buzz' in reality.

Good to 'hear' you and keep posting!