Old 08-01-2011, 09:54 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  
AutumnBeauty

Originally Posted by zrx1200R View Post
Have you thought about going out with some other men? Perhaps some that might not have a drinking problem? It is a long distance relationship, you explained. You might find there is a whole different experience with someone who doesn't have a drinking problem.

My last pearl of wisdom: Don't marry this person without living with him for a while. Anyone, and especially an alcoholic can behave for "romantic weekends". But living day to day with one will be eye opening. And if you are not married, it will be far easier to pack your stuff and leave. Which you may discover is exactly what you want to do in less than a year.

Good luck.
A family member I've confided in recently suggested the same two things.

Its true that I really have no idea of how much he's drinking. He usually calls me right after work and then we don't talk anymore for the evening. During "romantic weekends" he really hasn't behaved - he usually drinks by the 2nd or 3rd day of our visit....and then the binge drinking continues for several days. Usually he'd drink maybe 6-10 servings of alcohol in a day. (Perhaps for him that is behaving.) He'd often claim that he only drinks when I'm around. Since he drank so heavily right in front of me and I haven't nagged, I figured he wasn't hiding anything from me. But after recently witnessing him drink 23 servings of alcohol and wake up the next morning feeling just fine, that really scared me. I'm guessing one doesn't obtain nor maintain that kind of olympic-level-alcohol tolerance by only drinking one weekend a month. Am I right?