Old 07-31-2011, 08:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
newwings

I need to know the right things to say...

My very close friend's brother passed away suddenly last night. He was young (early thirties) with a long history of drug addiction and abuse. The family had slowly created boundaries over the years with regards to his addiction, and by last November they had terminated all contact with him.

My friend was the last one out of the family to cut ties with her brother. He routinely came to her house for dinner with her husband and kids, and deal was no going there high or drugging in her house. He blew that, and she ended contact right then and there.

Obviously she is devastated by his death, but she keeps telling me how guilty she feels cutting contact with him and that the last words she spoke to him was 'don't contact me again'. He didn't. He died alone in his apartment, and the guilt of this is overwhelming her.

I'm trying to find the right words to say to her when the issue of guilt comes up....and I feel like I'm fumbling. It pains me greatly to see her in so much emotional pain, and I need a bit of support with the right words for her. Hoping you amazing people on SR could nudge me in the right direction. Thanks, guys.