Old 07-29-2011, 01:26 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
returntonormal

Originally Posted by AutumnBeauty View Post
I tried to break it off over 3 weeks ago. I told him that his drinking was just too much for me and I'm concerned he is becoming an alcoholic. I told him that I love him but that I'm afraid he is heading down a path of self-destruction and I do not want to be part of it. He was very calm but insisted that he did not have a problem. After we hung up, he texts me that he "did not have time for this drama" and that he'd call me in a week. Three weeks later he called. He said that he'd quit drinking FOR ME (not for himself). He also said he felt cheated because I had "let him drink" even though its such a problem to me.
Hi - I am in a similar boat, except I've been with him for over ten years. I have been like you - I haven't nagged, I have had three or four serious conversations about his drinking in the past year, but finally told him a few weeks ago that I wanted to separate because I didn't want to live with his drinking. He quit, but says that "someday I hope I can have a glass of wine with dinner". He rejects the idea that he's an alcoholic. He is angry that I didn't tell him how much it bothered me.

Bullsh*t.

Alcoholics often deflect and blame in order to protect their drinking. Mine tried to cut back several times over the past year and failed. I am happy he's not drinking right now, but I also know (I'm a recovering alcoholic) that quitting for someone else is not enough to keep him sober...

Anyway - I agree with the others - postpone your wedding. You've given him a year to change his behavior. He has not done so. He *may* change now, but only you can decide whether it's worth it to wait. For myself, I wish I'd left years ago.