Old 07-28-2011, 11:41 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
MattM316
Matt M

Originally Posted by LaFemme View Post
I care because when a person dies like that it brings attention to the illness...that's why we should care. Suddenly people are asking if you can die from withdrawal...this kind of public dialogue is important and will probably lead people to seek help, maybe come to SR or aa...seeing compassion for an addict who didn't survive would be a good thing for a lurker to see.

I also care because she was a hugely gifted artist whose gift was stolen from the world by alcohol.

I won't comment on what I thought of her as a person or artist because it's very negative, but I agree about how it's good in bringing alcohol withdrawal to people's attention.

I knew nothing about it at all before I started reading up on it last year and now all of a sudden, amongst friends I seem to be the spokesperson on the subject.
One friend said to me that if Winehouse did die from alcohol withdrawal, that I could wear a t-shirt saying "I survived what Amy Winehouse Couldn't"!
I did explain that getting to the stage of having alcohol withdrawal seizures really isn't something to be proud about!!