Notices

Did giving up drink really kill Amy Winehouse?

Old 07-28-2011, 08:13 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Did giving up drink really kill Amy Winehouse?

According to several newspapers in the UK, people have been claiming taht Amy Winehouse may have died because she suddenly stopped drinking. The Daily Mail, for example, says "It is thought that Amy had been told to cut down on her drinking gradually, but her cold turkey approach to quitting the booze gave her frail body a shock it couldn’t handle." And a source close to the family told the The Sun newspaper: "Abstinence gave her body such a fright they thought it was eventually the cause of her death."

This doesn't appear to make sense to me. I could understand if there were severe discomforts to quitting but surely this would not lead to someone dying in their sleep?
Old 07-28-2011, 08:17 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

endlesspatience,

Detoxing from alcohol can be life threatening and yes, it can kill you in your sleep. Abruptly stopping drinking after heavy use can be very dangerous. I am in no way saying that is what happened in this case. I don't mean to frighten you but that is why it is of great importance to be closely monitored by a physician when detoxing. I hope this answers your quesion.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:32 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Agree if you have been heavy drinking for sometime including binges, and then suddenly cutting alcohol from your system is very dangerous indeed and not considered safe by any doctor.
You really do need to work out a plan which includes removing alcohol from your system in a controlled way like slowly cutting down gradually, this would most defiantly be the safest option!!
Old 07-28-2011, 09:02 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by endlesspatience View Post
The Daily Mail
There's your first problem.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:31 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I agree with the above...alcohol withdrawals can be fatal. That's why we always recommend people don't try it without medical supervision.

Back when I was in nursing school, I was doing my psych clinicals in a treatment facility. The very first day, we were delayed as they had had a person die from alcohol withdrawal..he waited too late to get help. He literally died while they were assessing him.

Have no idea what really happened with Amy Winehouse, but am fairly certain the years of abusing drugs/alcohol are behind it. Our body's can only take so much.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-28-2011, 09:36 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Life the gift of recovery!

The toxicology reports are not in yet and will not be in for several weeks so it is still unexplained as to why she died according to the coroners office. Here is the article: Autopsy not conclusive on Amy Winehouse death - CNN

I do agree with all the previous posters that sudden alcohol withdrawal can cause serious and possibly life threatening problems and detox should always be done under the care and supervision of a trained medical professional.
Old 07-28-2011, 09:57 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

From what I read she had a Dr.'s appointment
the day before she died. Did the Dr. give her
meds and she overdosed on them? IMO
Old 07-28-2011, 10:06 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Matt M

No it didn't.

She had given up drinking weeks before she died. You can only die from alcohol withdrawal 48 hours from stopping drinking. If you get past that point you're ok.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:09 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MattM316 View Post
No it didn't.

She had given up drinking weeks before she died. You can only die from alcohol withdrawal 48 hours from stopping drinking. If you get past that point you're ok.

i quit drugs and alcohol at almost the same time and i can tell you i suffered for almost a solid month of withdrawal. my blood pressure was stroke level for days and days. i had several seizures way outside of 48 hours.

this wouldn't suprise me at all if this is what happend to her.

i refused to go to treatment or do it under a doctor's supervision simply because i knew it would be too comfortable if i did. i needed to remember the pain of going cold turkey. it was a pain i knew i would never ever forget...and i haven't. was it stupid to do? hell yeah it was

It was a miracle that i survived and it reminds me "there but for the grace of God, go I."

if Amy died trying to save her own life, then there's a victory against the demons that consumed her for so long. i pray she rests in peace. it's truely heartbreaking.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

No it didn't.

What are you on about, she didn't give up weeks before she died, she was wrecked at the itunes festival 3 days previous on red bull & Gin
Old 07-28-2011, 10:34 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I'm sure there are all kinds of speculation as to what she died from. I stick by what I said earlier...she was an addict who lived life hard and fast, and our bodies can only take so much.

We never know when we're going to cross that line, and it's always best to work with a dr. who is knowledgeable about addiction. My XABF was an alcoholic crack smoker who lived that way for over 30 years. It was pneumonia that finally killed him. Too busy getting high to go to a dr.

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 07-28-2011, 10:42 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

No it didn't.

This is not accurate. Severe problems (the DTs) can happen a week after quitting drinking. That 48 hour mark is not accurate in determining if a person is going to have problems.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:43 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Matt M

Originally Posted by Gwizz View Post
What are you on about, she didn't give up weeks before she died, she was wrecked at the itunes festival 3 days previous on red bull & Gin

Amy Winehouse Death: Alcohol Withdrawal 'Unlikely' Cause, George Best's Doctor Says | Showbiz News | Sky News

Not sure why her Dad would say that if the case was otherwise.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:44 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

the latest quote on line from her father says that she had not been drinking for a month. I'll wait to hear about the toxicology for a true answer. the advise that the doctor told her to "withdraw slowly" from drinking sounds impossible...like telling me to only have one glass of wine in the evening.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:45 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Matt M

Originally Posted by least View Post
This is not accurate. Severe problems (the DTs) can happen a week after quitting drinking. That 48 hour mark is not accurate in determining if a person is going to have problems.

The 48 hour mark is not only what I've been told by GPs and doctors, but you can see it on pretty much any website.

I was in hospital for 3 weeks last October due to seizures caused by alcohol withdrawal.
Ok you can probably never be 100% safe, but it's very very unlikely you'll suffer seizures after the 48 hours.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:47 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Matt M

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
the latest quote on line from her father says that she had not been drinking for a month. I'll wait to hear about the toxicology for a true answer. the advise that the doctor told her to "withdraw slowly" from drinking sounds impossible...like telling me to only have one glass of wine in the evening.

Slowly withdrawing is the only safe way.
When I wanted to quit safely, I was told "it's a load of rubbish, don't be a *****" etc.
Nearly dying, 3 seizures, 3 weeks in hospital and a broken shoulder later kinda proved them wrong.
Old 07-28-2011, 10:59 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
~sb

My friend had stopped drinking (and wasn't necessarly a heavy drinker) and died of a massive seizure 72 hours afterwards. All was ok until that seizure. Unless a doctor has read ALL printed facts, it's still just a medical opinion.

We shall see in a month or so what may have happened to Amy. I wasn't there, so I don't know if she was drinking or using.

May she R.I.P. or at least be an angel for those who still suffer.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:20 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Fandy View Post
what he knows to be true might have only been what he was told. i know i hid my drinking pretty well. i was alot worse than my wife could have imagined.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:29 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  
RIP Sweet Suki

Everything is speculation at this point. Until the toxicology reports come back, no one knows what caused her death, and possibly not even then.
Old 07-28-2011, 11:44 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Seriously people, who cares?