View Single Post
Old 07-23-2011, 09:18 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
jamaicamecrazy

I also kept holding on. I kept thinking about my wedding vows and how much I loved him and the great life we had. Even after I left I kept thinking that if I had just held out a little longer maybe...but when my wonderful husband became verbally abusive and threatened me I knew it was not healthy for either one of us. Did I think my moving out would make him stop drinking-no. But I thought he might see that I was not the reason he claimed he drank. When he started saying that I knew his disease had progressed and he was desperate to find a reason why he was losing control. And I knew that he was no where near admitting he had a problem or wanting to change. If nothing changes, nothing changes. I had to make that first step and move out. When I see him now I see how sick he really is. How angry he is and how I do not need to be living as a hostage to his disease.
Everyone has different tolerance levels. I was actually ok staying with the drinking. I decided to separate when the anger and verbal abuse started.
You are at a crossroads. Only you can decide which way to go and when to take that step.
In the mean time keep reading this board and try Al Anon. Working a program has given me strength and helped me focus on my life.