View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 07:20 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
ETA

Originally Posted by BodhiTree View Post
the longer I feel better, the easier it is to take it for granted. My memories of how bad it was are already becoming less vivid. And those memories are a large part of what is motivating me to stay away from the alcohol.
This was my biggest fear when I quit 27 days ago!

I have plenty of BAD memories to pull from but all my years of trying to moderate I knew that the guilt and shame wears off. I'm forgetful, impulsive and have not used my will power all that much in my life.

Reading over my old posts and posts from new/returning people helps a ton. It reminds me to accept the fact that I can never drink again. (Never!)

The last time I got drunk I woke up the next day with no memory of what had happened the night before. My fiance only told me that if I kept drinking I would lose him.

That same day I found this site. I was full of panic/fear/regret/shame and, out of fear that I would forget the lesson I finally learned, I went the next day and got a small tattoo on the side of my finger.

The first week or so when I would think about drinking I would look at the tattoo and visualize some of the horrific memories I have.

I posted about the tattoo on this forum and someone else said they bought themselves a bracelet they wear always for the exact same reason.

I'm not sure if that's helpful to you - I think it was good for me to write it down again.

Rest assured - there are lots of people who feel this way.