View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 06:05 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  
Vesna

Yes, I struggle with it. I'm on Day 122, and lately the urge to drink is stronger. So far I am defeating it by coming here and by really thinking it through before I take action, and the urges pass. As others have mentioned, having the pros and cons written down is a big help. Fortunately, I wrote a very vivid description in my journal on that latest (and, I hope, last) Day One...going back and reading that makes the pain fresh again, the fear of what could have happened, the horror at my behavior. I even gave that last night a name: The Pub Incident...I refer to it in my journal as TPI. I don't want to ever have another of those. I also try to think about how well life has been going since then. I've gotten a huge raise/promotion and I've started writing a book...sounds ridiculous and I'm not sure I can attribute it to stopping drinking, but I definitely don't want to go back to where I was. I remind myself that the best-case scenario from a night of drinking is a hangover, and in my job I don't have the energy to spare for that.