View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 05:22 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  
yogaisland

I still have very vivid memories of just what a hangover feels like (even though it's been months since I had one), and I channel that whenever I'm tempted to have a drink. I can also remember some of the cringe-worthy things I did, said, and allowed to be done to me while wasted, and that's definitely a deterrent as well. I don't ever want to be that sloppy girl again. Writing down those kinds of things is a good idea just in case they are ever forgotten and I need a future reminder. (I only hope that I can forget them one day! For now they feel so fresh that I literally do cringe.)

Someone mentioned quitting smoking - I quit smoking 8 years ago and the way I felt about that was the same way I feel about quitting drinking now. I smoked for 4 years in college and my mom was always on me to quit (she worked for an oncologist and HATED smoking) but I'd always blow her off. I'd take the Nicorette she'd buy me and use it when I had to go long times without smoking (like Christmas) but *I* didn't want to quit, so I never did for real. I'd pretend to quit. But I finally had an epiphany in my senior year that it was going to be impossible to be a teacher and be a smoker (doing my observations, I had to walk like a block away from the school to legally have a smoke - just wasn't worth it). Plus I was tired of chronic colds and infections. So I resolved to quit. Used some leftover Bed Bath and Beyond gift cards from my wedding to buy a yoga mat and two DVDs and that was the beginning of that great love affair! So for all the months following, when I'd see others smoking (I had turned 21 and could go to bars for the first time, though drinking wasn't a problem - yet), I'd feel mildly tempted, then think, "But what will my deep inhales and exhales feel like tomorrow when I do yoga? No, I just can't smoke." It was easy.

So I'm trying to channel that same feeling into quitting drinking. Just that it's something that doesn't fit in my life anymore - I want to be happy and healthy, I don't want to wake up feeling gross, I don't want to be that person anymore. So the only way is to not drink. Yeah, I could try to have "just one", like I could have had "just one" cigarette back then, but... why? Life feels really good and easy without it. I have never done any drugs (thank goodness) because I had this reasoning: I could try drugs, and there are two possible outcomes. #1- I'll like it, and I'll have to keep doing it. That'll be a huge hassle, be expensive, possibly get me arrested or even kill me! #2- I won't like it, and it was a waste of time. Neither outcome is worth it, right? So I never even smoked the first joint, tried cocaine, etc, even though all my friends were doing them. So, I tell myself that about that "one drink after work with friends." I'm either going to like it and want more, or I'm going to regret it, and neither is what I want. So the only solution is to not do it at all!