View Single Post
Old 07-20-2011, 03:38 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
klaarstroom

being sober

Being sober (I suppose for long enough) actually doesn't leave you any other options - than being sober. I had the last one on May 4th. I wish I could tell someone my whole and complete story, so that that someone would realize the the absolute fulfillment you experience once the poison in your mind has gone.
Originally Posted by SoberJennie View Post
I think, for me anyway, that focusing on how bad it was... and even making pros/cons lists never work long-term.

It never solidified in my mind until this last time I got sober... June 28th. Deciding once and for all that I can't drink... period. And that I will never drink again... ever. Under no circumstance, no exceptions, no re-considerations... none of that waffling back and forth. It's worked like an absolute charm!! I have had no problems staying sober this final time. And I do believe I'll never drink again. It's taken the whole "relapse" or "what if I drink again" anxiety right out of the equation.

It's left me free to move forward with real life... and in fact, I'm not completely sold on this idea of a long, drawn out "recovery" either... It's nearly as if I've picked back up where I left off before the drinking got out of hand. I'm actually working on regular things now. Finances, nutrition, fitness... etc. And I'm not ruminating about alcohol.