View Single Post
Old 07-19-2011, 06:14 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
DayTrader
12-Step Recovered Alkie

abd....

good OR bad for you. Time will tell. Maybe you haven't crossed that invisible line into alcoholism. Maybe you have. If you haven't, you should be able to control it every time.

That wasn't my experience. Sometimes I could control it, have a few, and a good time. Other times I could control it but it would be like trying to hold a breaking dam back. In the end though, I really didn't like being a "social drinker" - having a couple, getting that glow/warm feeling......then stopping. I wanted to go all the way.

When I look back at my "drinking career" I can say that there was a good 5-10 yr period where I was a social drinker.......albeit a heavy social drinker.

What I never knew though, until I experienced it first hand, was just how cool living in recovery really is. I always thought/assumed that it was just "not drinking." I couldn't see that there was a TON more than that in store for me/us - wonderful things.

Hey....if you can control it.......and have a great life..... go for it.

If you can't....then there's a wonderful life awaiting you in recovery - you just have to choose that path.

** I'd suggest though......if you didn't plan to drink at that party.......that's a pretty big indicator that you can't control when you drink or not - don't trick yourself into thinking that slips and relapse are OK. If you're an alcoholic, those are big parts of what kills us. Matter of fact, I just was at a funeral for a 51 year old guy.....he had 15 years or so dry...... his "relapse" cost him his life.