View Single Post
Old 07-12-2011, 07:00 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
zrx1200R

The Fighter -- movie

I watched The Fighter last night. Good movie for a buck. It's about a Boston area boxer and his crackhead boxer brother. Hollywood ending, pretty girl, defies the odds. Standard.

However, the writers must now a bit about what we go through. And I picked up on a couple scenes worth sharing. Or maybe the actual brothers managed to convey the craziness and the writers just captured it. Regardless, I thought it worth sharing.

The brothers mother is the over bearing "manager" of the brothers. In real life she's probably an alcoholic, though they don't really show this in the movie. She's not a very good manager, as the hero is getting crappy fights, and getting his arse kicked.

In the house with her live her 7 daughters, who all appear to be late teens to late 20's. They get into a big argument about the hero going to another manager, as he's not getting any younger and needs some different opportunities. One of the sisters speaks up for the hero brother. The mom turns on her instantly and screams -- "you owe me 200 dollars! How dare you talk to me like that in my own kitchen when you owe me 200 dollars!"

Where's My SWEATER! It is exactly the same.

It was classic alcoholic re-direction. Suitable for use in education programs across the country.

Watch the movie when you have time, and notice all the little things you are familiar with. I bet those unfamiliar with alcoholic behavior watch the movie and think it impossible for a family to act like that.