Thread: Day 5
View Single Post
Old 07-09-2011, 08:46 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
newwings

Fantastic job, Snoopy! I know how hard it can be at the beginning, but I promise you it gets easier. I went to a music festival last night too..last year it was definitely a drunk fest for me because it's only 10 mins walk from my house, so you can imagine how much wine I could ingest there and stagger home. This year I went, took my 7 year old daughter and had a BLAST. Of course, all my friends were blotto by the end of the night, but I was able to offer them a ride home (after dropping daughter home), so my sobriety is useful to not just me!

One friend asked.."how can you DO THIS? Isn't this hard? Don't you hate it?". My answer is definitely NO. It's not hard, once you see everyone struggling to make decent conversation after a few hours on the grog. I finally got to hear the music, rather than using the occasion to drink myself senseless. It was a far, far better experience for me than it ever was last year. Here's to another sober day!

In answer to your question about making sober friends, I am still struggling with this one. I haven't got any either. At the moment, my teen and daughter are my sober friends, and they appreciate my sobriety more than anyone else could. I'm hoping I will make some adult sober friends at some point, but I think this comes slowly...