View Single Post
Old 07-08-2011, 05:32 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Hopeworks

marsaray,

Welcome to SR... there is a lot of collective wisdom and experience here... try to divorce your emotions from the equation and realize that doing the same things are going to produce the same results.... she will not miraculously get better if you keep enabling and rescuing.

If you set boundaries and allow her problems to become HER problems she has a chance to get better. Not everyone gets better ... this is where you have to turn this over to your HP (if you are not a praying person then turn it over to "fate or the universe"...

If she is in danger of harming herself or you feel she needs psychiatric evaluation dial 911 and have the authorities take her into custody.

That was straight advice instead of sharing my experience... my AH relapsed after almost 1 year sober and I had set CLEAR boundaries and acted on that. I tried to take him to detox and he refused and I left him outside in front of the building. I packed his things and put them in storage. He raged and hated and drank like a fish for over 2 weeks in motels. Today he is sober and begging to let him come home. It is the first time he has ever been able to stop drinking in 20 years without being in a detox facility or jail cell.

He is not coming home ... I set boundaries. NOw he needs to solve his own problems and create a new life minus my involvement. He has paid a huge price for his poor judgement and he is thinking about that right now... he destroyed our relationship but it may have saved his life.

Don't cripple her ... let her have the dignity of solving her own problems. If she truly can't then call the appropriate authorities or have her Baker or Marchman Acted.

Please find some Alanon meetings for yourself and keep coming back! Good luck.