View Single Post
Old 07-07-2011, 06:52 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  
Terminally Unique

Location:   « USA »                       Recovered with AVRT  (Rational Recovery)  ___________
Originally Posted by LaTeeDa View Post
That's quite a broad brush to paint with AVRT.

I can only speak for myself, but I have no desire whatsoever to punish alcoholics. The ones I know punish themselves quite enough as it it.
Possibly a bit much. I was not including the non-A's in that statement. I think you'll find that I don't lack empathy for what you guys go through.

I was married to one for 20 years and I still care about him and his well-being. Like many on the F&F boards however, it came to a point where it was him or me. I was drowning in his disease and there was nothing I could do but save myself. My biggest regret is that I didn't do it sooner. So much of the suffering I experienced (and my children experienced) could have been prevented if only I had enough self-worth to stop trying to take care of him and start taking care of myself.
I don't blame you in the least. You did what you had to do to protect your family.

And, FWIW, I never told the OP to leave now. My best suggestion would be to slow way down and make sure that this is the person and the life she wants before making a legal commitment. That's not punishment, that's just sensible.
I agree.

However, I do think a man should be given the opportunity to quit, though. People give up far more for their families than drinking - often their lives. If a man will not sacrifice for his wife, or for his family, then who is he going to sacrifice for? What kind of husband would he make? Where is his honor?