View Single Post
Old 07-04-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
runsinthefamily

Upcoming Road Trip

Tomorrow I leave for a roadtrip to visit some family and friends. Most of them do not know yet that I've quit drinking. Most of them (well family at least) don't really know I've had problems drinking. Almost all of them drinking pretty heavily. I'm nervous about a) avoiding situations where there will be lots of alcohol and b) telling them I'm no longer drinking.
I've thought about going the "detox diet" route as I tend to try to be a pretty healthy person most of the time. But I might just tell them the truth. It will just add to my motivation to stick to sobriety. Who knows, it might even encourage my siblings to look at their alcohol consumption patterns (but I think I'm hoping for too much).
I just hope I can stick to it, since I'm so new (1 week yesterday!).

One good thing I've noticed over this past week / weekend is that I have SO much more energy for other things now that I don't have to deal with being hungover. And not even just the hangover, I have more energy while doing stuff I'd normally drink during just because I don't have alcohol (which usually makes me sleepy after awhile) in my system. So this weekend has definitely been more fun than it would've been had I been drinking. It was hard not to drink this weekend as I went bowling and fishing, two things I'd normally drink while doing. But I did it! and I'm glad I did. Hopefully that feeling will hold up both today as I celebrate the 4th with friends and over my upcoming trip.