Notices

Upcoming Road Trip

Old 07-04-2011, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Upcoming Road Trip

Tomorrow I leave for a roadtrip to visit some family and friends. Most of them do not know yet that I've quit drinking. Most of them (well family at least) don't really know I've had problems drinking. Almost all of them drinking pretty heavily. I'm nervous about a) avoiding situations where there will be lots of alcohol and b) telling them I'm no longer drinking.
I've thought about going the "detox diet" route as I tend to try to be a pretty healthy person most of the time. But I might just tell them the truth. It will just add to my motivation to stick to sobriety. Who knows, it might even encourage my siblings to look at their alcohol consumption patterns (but I think I'm hoping for too much).
I just hope I can stick to it, since I'm so new (1 week yesterday!).

One good thing I've noticed over this past week / weekend is that I have SO much more energy for other things now that I don't have to deal with being hungover. And not even just the hangover, I have more energy while doing stuff I'd normally drink during just because I don't have alcohol (which usually makes me sleepy after awhile) in my system. So this weekend has definitely been more fun than it would've been had I been drinking. It was hard not to drink this weekend as I went bowling and fishing, two things I'd normally drink while doing. But I did it! and I'm glad I did. Hopefully that feeling will hold up both today as I celebrate the 4th with friends and over my upcoming trip.
Old 07-04-2011, 07:31 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Would it work if you just said, "No, thanks"? That works for me.

I'm glad you're doing well!
Old 07-04-2011, 08:31 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I'll say "no thanks" then they'll most likely pressure me. But maybe not. I'll try it and report back.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:09 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Just tell them you are on a health kick, eating healthy and stopped drinking too. That is after all the truth right? Eat some broccoli while there, that'll prove it! Good luck on the trip, and the rest of your life.
Old 07-04-2011, 09:19 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I cancelled a trip like this and I know my Husband is disappointed along with my son but I just can't do it. My husband has brought it up a couple of times in terms of how disappointed they both are. I just can't and I wish he wouldn't say these things. he wants me to be sober. Ugh.

I feel for you. At least you can go. I don't know what's wrong with me. There are a bunch of things I just can't do right now. And I feel like I'm holding everyone back.

Anyway, Congrats on the week and I hope it turns out better than you thought!
Old 07-04-2011, 04:04 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Don't feel bad, 1undone. You have to do what feels right for you know. Your family will understand in time. It sucks that they are guilt tripping you though. Can they not go without you? I've gone places without my husband because he didn't want to go (because of his anxiety which is now being treated) and I understood why he couldn't go.

To the TC, I'm also going to see a lot of family this week and it's the first time to see them since I stopped drinking. Everyone (except one aunt and my grandma) drinks in my family, so I was worried that it would be awkward. No one has alcoholic tendencies though (not on this side of the family, that comes from my maternal side, thanks Mom!) They are those amazing people that can have two beers over the course of the night and never embarrass themselves, which is what I cannot seem to do. I don't plan to tell anyone the truth because it's just too hard right now, so I told my aunt (who emailed to ask what kind of wine to buy for us) that I had stopped drinking because of headaches.

Well, I do have one cousin fresh out of college who is quite clearly a binge drinker... I hope to maybe have a few quiet words with her and disclose my situation in the hopes it might help her. I don't have ideas that I will cure her instantly, but she's always looked up to me a bit and maybe if she realizes that I'm not perfect she can realize it's okay to admit she's got a problem too.

So yeah, say what feels comfortable and right for you. "No thanks" should be enough, but I know what you mean about being pressured and having to give a stronger answer.
Old 07-04-2011, 04:19 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
JUST DO IT!!

Originally Posted by runsinthefamily View Post
Tomorrow I leave for a roadtrip to visit some family and friends. Most of them do not know yet that I've quit drinking. Most of them (well family at least) don't really know I've had problems drinking. Almost all of them drinking pretty heavily. I'm nervous about a) avoiding situations where there will be lots of alcohol and b) telling them I'm no longer drinking.
I've thought about going the "detox diet" route as I tend to try to be a pretty healthy person most of the time. But I might just tell them the truth. It will just add to my motivation to stick to sobriety. Who knows, it might even encourage my siblings to look at their alcohol consumption patterns (but I think I'm hoping for too much).
I just hope I can stick to it, since I'm so new (1 week yesterday!).

One good thing I've noticed over this past week / weekend is that I have SO much more energy for other things now that I don't have to deal with being hungover. And not even just the hangover, I have more energy while doing stuff I'd normally drink during just because I don't have alcohol (which usually makes me sleepy after awhile) in my system. So this weekend has definitely been more fun than it would've been had I been drinking. It was hard not to drink this weekend as I went bowling and fishing, two things I'd normally drink while doing. But I did it! and I'm glad I did. Hopefully that feeling will hold up both today as I celebrate the 4th with friends and over my upcoming trip.
One thing that I learned that has worked and continues to work for me was to be real. I finally found a solution to how to tell someone who offers anything to me and once I say these words they don't pressure you or anything afterwords or that has been my experience.

"Vic, would you like to have a beer or smoke a joint?" asked David. "No thank you David, I recently found out that I am allergic to drugs and alcohol and if I Drink I die, If I use, I Die." says Vic. That usually will end up the asking although it might lead to asking what is wrong than I just have to say I am allergic as I stated before

I just had a girl I saw at the Kwik Stop here saying that she wanted to come over tonight she is alone. Although she might be sober today, we have used before. I just said I was BBQ'ing which is kinda a twisted response, I will no go grill me a hamburger LOL
Old 07-04-2011, 05:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Runsinthefamily..say and do what feels right to keep you sober. I just wanted to share that every time I tell someone I've quit, I get that much stronger. Believe me, I don't shout it from the rooftops, but when it presents itself, and I decide to talk a bit about it, I feel so good about it. People have been super supportive and happy for me, and I did most of my drinking at home, so no one knew it was an issue. Anyway..when you're ready, you may find it a positive experience. Good luck!!
Old 07-04-2011, 08:33 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

great to hear that you have more energy! You'll probably also find that it is a lot easier to stick to a routine. E.g I have been trying to get back to my peak fitness for a few years ago but alcahol has always stopped my training.
Old 07-04-2011, 10:32 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Powerless over Alcohol

Awesome good luck on the trip

I know only being sober for 14 days now I could be around that much drinking. MY fathers bithday is the 4 th and theres always a big party at his house. Well this year I called and said I am sorry but I cant come over I to green. They totally backed me for that support I am luck. Instead I went to an AA party first 4th of July ever sober and had a good time.

Be strong and we all can beat these struggles togather